Glossary of Terms
Technical Terms used in the Technology Policy
- Access Rights Permission to use an MSU information technology resource according to appropriate limitations, controls, and guidelines.
- Commercial purpose A goal or end involving the buying and/or selling of goods or services for the purpose of making a profit.
- Data A representation of facts, concepts, or instructions suitable for communication, interpretation, or processing by human or automatic means.
- Disk Space Allocation the amount of disk storage space assigned to a particular user by University Information Systems or the appropriate system administrator.
- Fair Use Use of information technology resources in accordance with this policy, within the rules of an individual MSU facility, and so as not to unreasonably interfere with the use of the same resources by others.
- File A collection of data treated as a unit.
- Inappropriate use of authority or special privilege Use of one's access right(s) or position in a manner that violates the rules of use os those privileges as specified by the Chief Information Officer, or designee, or the appropriate system administrator.
- Information Technology Resource Any information technology/network equipment, facility or service made available to users by Murray State University.
- Password A string of characters that a user must supply to meet security requirements before gaining access to a particular information technology resource.
- Prudent and Responsible Use Use of information technology resources in a manner that promotes the efficient use and security of one's own access right(s), the access rights of other users, and MSU information technology resources.
- Remote Activity Any information technology action or behavior that accesses remote site facilities via an MSU information technology resource.
- Remote Site Any information technology/network equipment, facility, or service not part of, but connected with, MSU information technology resources via a communications network.
- System Administrator Any individual authorized by the Chief Information Officer, the Provost/Vice President, or a designee to administer a particular information technology hardware system and/or its system software.
- Transmission The transfer of a signal, message, or other form of information from one location to another.
- Unauthorized Act With the exception of information technology actions or behaviors permitted in this policy, any act performed without the explicit permission of the Chief Information Officer, or designee, or the appropriate system administrator.
- Usage Record Information or data indicating the level of usage of information technology resources by a particular user.
- User Any individual -- whether student, staff, or individual external to MSU -- who uses MSU information technology resources.
- User ID A character string that uniquely identifies a particular user of MSU information technology resources.
| MSU Home | RacerNet |
Created and maintained by the Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology
Murray State University.
Last updated March 7, 2006, ©Murray State University, 1997, 2006.
Direct comments and questions to email@example.com