|Course Goals | Course Info | Home|
Hard Wood Can Be Dangerous
People often use hard wood mulch
It can change the pH of the soil, causing harm to organisms
People do not believe or do not care that it changes the soil
They should be aware of the chemical changes in the soil due to the use of hard wood mulch, and not use it when they do not wish to have basic soil.
|Comment:OK, be sure to provide specifics in the poster about organisms harmed by lowered pH (ie specific plants). There are some species that need lower pH as well (Blueberries, azaleas).|
|group:Big Tex and the Three Amigos|
|Group Members:Erin Smith|
|Title: H2O is Low: Water Restrictions in Texas|
|Statement: 1. Due to water shortages in Texas, there are restrictions put on the use of water.|
2. The use of water is part of our daily lives.
3. Some people say they pay a lot of money to make their yard look good, and without the use of irrigation, they believe their grass and yard will die.
4. Take shorter showers, plant landscaping that can survive on smaller amounts of water, water yards only during designated times, keep up with maintenance on plumbing and irrigation systems, only use water when you really need to, and spread awareness.
|Comment:Make title more exciting. Why does water shortage matter? Where does water go (industry, agriculture, residential). Is this poster specific to Texas or does it also include areas like south Georgia?|
|Group Members: Austin Jones, Brenon Conn, James Stone|
|Title: The affects of tobacco usage|
|Statement: Group: Biology Brigade; Austin Jones, Brenon Conn, James Stone |
Does the use of tobacco affect the long and short term health of users? This is important and controversial at the same time because more and more people each year die from tobacco related issues. People can make a difference by educating themselves about the affects that is has on their bodies.
|Comment:make title more exciting. There is not a clear controversial aspect stated in your thesis statement. Why do people continue to use tobacco?|
Biology BrigadeJames Stone
Guilt by Association
There is an increase in sexually transmitted diseases, this has been
blamed on genetics instead of gender. Gender and age are also
associated with increased risk for STDs. Women are at higher risk than
men for most STDs, and young women are more susceptible to certain
infections than older women. Due to cervical ectopy that is extremely
common in adolescent females, the immature cervix of adolescent females
is covered with cells that are especially susceptible to STDs such as
2.This is important because there need to be an inept study of human biology that helps us target and prevent the biological reasons for std vulnerability.
3. There is a lot of support on both sides, and std understanding is at risk.
4.Recognize and spread the information that will help them prevent these std's/
|Comment:do you really want an inept study? What will help prevent STDs. You mention genetics and gender. This information should be integrated into your solution.|
|Group Members:Nisa Clapp Riley Smith Nathan Jackson|
|Title:Students Taking Stimulant Drugs Could Turn Dangerous|
|Statement:As a student the topic of the use of stimulant drugs without a perscription has become a very controversal topic. The problem is that students who do not need the stimulant for medical reasons are using the drugs to help stay focused in class. But the drugs are beginning to effecr the student past the point of their needed concentration. Through this announcement we hope to show college students how dangerous these drugs can be and what they can do to help eliminate the use of these drugs. This includes ideas such as getting more sleep or creating better study areas that help the student stay focused. We hope to put an end to the abuse of stimulant drugs in college students.|
|Comment:Nice work, you will need to cut the text down a bit eventually. Create a more exciting title.|
|Group Members: Victoria Swift|
|Statement: People are not recycling and it is having a negative affect on the environment. Many people do not recycle because they do not think that it is necessary or important. To help our environment, people should take the extra time to recycle.|
|Group Members: Lidia Vazquez|
|Title:The Environmental Dangers of Driving|
This problem is being addressed because of the serious negative effect
driving vehicles and the exhaust they release have on our air.|
2. This issue is important because the Carbon Dioxide that are vehicles are releasing is ruining our ozone and the cleanliness of the air we breathe.
3. This problem is controversial because some people don't realize the seriousness of it and don't want to attempt or try change.
4. Audience can do things like car pooling, using public transportation, walking, riding bikes etc. Benefits for them include less money spent on gas, healthier body etc.
|Comment:OK, be careful ozone is more tightly linked to the unburned hydrocarbons and nitrous oxides exiting the tailpipe of vehichles.|
|Title:Air pollution; When is it your turn to help|
A problem in the environment is that chemicals are polluting the air and atmosphere.
It is important because it is contributing to global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, and a hazard to our health.
It is controversial because it is too costly for factories to shut down or change to a greener output. Also, people are uninformed about these effects of air pollution.
People should be aware of the activities that contribute and cut down on their contributions by not smoking as much, by not releasing toxic chemicals into the environment from factories, and by spreading awareness to the dangers of pollution.
|Comment:OK, I suggest you pick a specific pollutant.|
Erin Pass, Tyler James, Michael Minter, Doug Cotton
|Title:Pollute Today, Pay Tomorrow|
A problem in the environment is that chemicals are polluted the air and atmosphere. It is important because it is contributing to global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, and a hazard to our health. It is controversial because it is too costly for factories to shut down or change to a greener output. Also, people are uninformed about these effects of air pollution. People should be aware of the activities that contribute and cut down on their contributions by not smoking as much, by not releasing toxic chemicals into the environment from factories, and by spreading awareness to the dangers of pollution.
|Group Members: Erin Pass|
|Title: Pollute today, pay tomorrow|
|Statement: A problem in the environment is that chemicals are polluting the air and atmosphere. It is important because it is contributing to global warming, the depletion of the ozone layer, and a hazard to our health. It is controversial because it is too costly for factories to shut down or change to a greener output. Also, people are uninformed about these effects of air pollution. People should be aware of the activities that contribute and cut down on their contributions by not smoking as much, by not releasing toxic chemicals into the environment from factories, and by spreading awareness to the dangers of pollution.|
|Title:Pre-Workout Supplements! Friends or Foes?|
1. The problem is the use of pre-workout supplements. Do you really need to take them to see results.
2. It is important because it can cause serious heath problems.
3. It is controversial because some may think they need to take them in order to see results while others think you can do it the all natural way.
4. Research the supplements and find out what they do before they take them.
|Comment:OK, you should either select a specific class of supplements and give advice or give specific advice on how to research supplements. I suspect manufacturers may have different information than a watchdog organization.|
|Group Members:Josh Brown|
|Title: Shrink Your Carbon Footprint, Help Save the World|
|Statement:1. carbon emissions|
2. Carbon emissions are contributing to global warming.
3. It can be inconvenient for people to change their habits in order to be more eco-friendly.
4. An easy way to reduce your carbon footprint is to unplug appliances that aren't being used, like cell phone chargers.
|Group Members:Ashley Allen , Latrease Maddox, Jomanda Mayes and Kristin Muir|
Recycling should be mandatory because it helps conserves energy and resources, protrects the environment, and its creatures. Also recycling saves us money and it makes sense econmonically. It is important because our landfields are becoming corrupt anf the animals are being poisoned. By simply throwing away your trash and stop litering it can protect the enconomy.
|Comment:Why are people not recycling? Also be careful of words. What do you mean by corrupt.|
|Group Members:Keiona Kirby, Ashleigh McBean, Jessie Best, Chelsea Smith|
|Title:QUIT NOW....your life depends on it!!!!|
|Statement:Smoking is one of the most controversial subjects in society because it has an impact on the lives of many people; smoking is also one of the leading causes of death in the United States, and this should not be the case. Many people unconsciously harm others while they are committing the act of smoking, for this reason alone smoking should be prohibited. To ensure the health and well being of non-smokers the poster audience should explain the harmful effects that smoking has on people, the nasty substances it is composed of, and lastly how many people die on a daily basis due to smoking to reduce the number of deaths in the United States.|
|Comment:Why is this controversial (ie why are people still smoking?)|
|Group Members: Kathryn MehlBauer, Austin Ballard, Tim Torsak, Brittany York|
|Title:Recycling...It's for your own good.|
|Statement: 1. People need to recycle |
2. recycling helps saves hte Earth, it reduces pollution and goes against global warming effects, it also saves energy.
3. It can cost you money to recycle by paying trash companies additional fees or gas money to drive to a recycling facility. It takes more work than just throwing something in a general trashcan.
4. start by recycling on campus, where it is easy and convenient to do many recycling areas. Then you can start recyling at home and taking your stuff to a local recycling center.
|group:The Four Amiga's|
|Group Members:Jodie McKnight|
|Comment:Be sure in PSA to offer specific advice (ie specific organizations etc)|