MKTG 369 Exam 1 Review
Sample Instructions (Please note that the format of some of the questions
Please answer the following essay questions using complete sentences.
Feel free to use any diagrams, tables, or drawings that will help clarify
your answers. The best answers will be thorough yet concise.
Brief, sketchy answers will not be rewarded with a majority of the possible
points. Sheer length does not substitute for quality. Good
- Describe the value creation model discussed in class, including the
two separate paths to creating customer value.
- Describe three ways a fashion (or any innovation) might diffuse into the
market more rapidly.
- Describe how the consumer problem-solving (decision-making) process
differs for the three major types of purchases.
- Discuss four retail concepts explored within the two "model
ship" cases (aka the Mall Anchors Away! cases).
- Discuss retail growth strategies, with one example of each type.
(Be sure to use the product-market expansion grid.)
- Discuss the relative risk of the major growth strategies in the product-market expansion
- List and discuss four methods of non-store retailing, including strengths
and weaknesses of each compared to store-based retailing.
- Describe multiattribute attitude models, including the four major
parts. Discuss three ways retailers can use the results of such a
model. Use hypothetical results for three office supply superstores
rated on four attributes to illustrate how such models work
- Define multichannel retailing. Give three examples of how a
retailer might move into multichannel retailing, discussing how each can
complement the original channel of the retailer.
- Describe the process for using the business strength/market opportunity
grid (aka the GE Stoplight Model) for a retailer facing three
investment opportunities for a market development strategy.
- Discuss four areas of operations where a retailer might use VALS in
- Describe perceptual mapping. Discuss three ways a retailer
might use perceptual mapping in planning.